Saturday, February 6, 2010

My New Job

Today was my first day serving at Chili's completely on my own. I'd served during my training, but today I didn't have a trainer and I actually got to keep my tips. Anyway, there were some goods and some bads (naturally one of the goods was getting to keep my own tips).

The bad -
A party of 40 came in and was seated in my area. Normally this could be a good thing in terms of tips, but this group was a high school swim team and each person wanted their own check. Thus you get about $1 or $2 tip from each person when the total bill would actually warrant a much larger tip. (I promise I'm not a greedy person; I just need to be able to support myself and this is my only job right now.) This was also bad because these tables are very demanding in that everyone needs drinks and food at the same time; it's not staggered as it would be if separate tables were seated in your section spreading out the demands. And because it's so demanding, other people aren't sat in your section. Overall, frustrating and tiring.

The good -
The director (of Chili's, I guess) was at our restaurant and realized we were not going to get tipped properly for all our hard work, so he/she asked for the bills from our tables and tipped us accordingly ("us" being the multiple servers taking care of the party). So not only did we get the tips from the guests, but we also got a tip from the director. It really worked out great.

Also, a little girl at one of my tables told me she wanted to tell me something and leaned towards me as if she was going to tell me a secret. So I bent down and she whispered in my ear, "You're really pretty." That pretty much made my night.

No comments:

Post a Comment