Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fit For the Gods

It is said that the people who first came upon what is now called The Garden of the Gods, in Colorado Springs, had the following thoughts:

One man, observing the surrounding beauty, thought the area would one day make a wonderful beer garden. A second man, in reply, said it was a place fit for the gods. Thus the name - Garden of the Gods.

My dad and I (and one of his friends from church) recently visited the park on the final day of their week-long "man trip" to Colorado (two other church friends were with them most of the week). Luckily, I had the whole week off (I don't start my job until tomorrow) so I was able to spend quite a lot of time with them. Not only did we visit The Garden of the Gods, but we also took a day trip to Leadville, CO, a historic mining town and also the highest city in the United States of America -- at 10,200 ft above sea level -- on the days we weren't hitting the snowy slopes. I must say, the mountain views from Leadville are pretty spectacular; they include the two tallest mountains in Colorado, Mt. Massive (14,421 ft) and Mt. Elbert (14443 ft). Mt. Elbert is actually the tallest mountain in the Rocky Mountains of North America, and is the second tallest mountain in the lower 48 states, after Mt. Whitney in California, which is 62 ft taller. All this to say, it's
big... and beautiful. Really, if you ask me, all of Colorado is a place fit for the gods.

And if I knew how to get pictures off my phone I would have pictures of the snowy Rocky Mountains in all their beauty and glory, but I don't. So all you get to see are the pictures from The Garden of the Gods.


No comments:

Post a Comment