Saturday, January 16, 2010

Delicious Dinner

Tonight for dinner I tried another recipe out of my new cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes From an Accidental Country Girl. They are all recipes this lady (Ree Drummond) makes for her family; her husband is a rancher and her kids help out too. So it is the quintessential country cookbook full of meat and potatoes recipes. They are all really unhealthy meals, but oh so tasty.

The recipe I made tonight was home-made macaroni and cheese. The guys also made hamburgers on the grill and baked potatoes (that was too much starch for me, so I had a small hamburger and steamed broccoli with my mac and cheese). It turned out really well, although it hurt me a little to eat it because I know how bad it is for my heart (and I even made it a little healthier than suggested).





If you're interested in making this recipe, here it is (it makes 8 servings, although we had 4 people eating it and had more than half left over):

4 cups dry macaroni
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 heaping teaspoons dry mustard
1 pound cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Cook 4 cups of macaroni until very firm. The macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain and set aside.

2. In a small bowl, beat 1 egg and set aside.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 and butter a large oval or rectangular casserole dish.

4. In a large pot, melt 1/4 cup butter and sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat and cook for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Don't let it burn.

5. Pour in 2 1/2 cups whole milk and stir. (I used 2% milk, and I would have used skim, but it was my first time making the dish and I didn't want the cheese sauce to be too thin. I don't think that would be an issue if skim milk was used though.)

6. Add 2 heaping teaspoons of dry mustard and whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes or until very thick, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low.

7. To temper the eggs, slowly pour 1/4 cup of sauce into the beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the egg. Whisk until smooth.

8. Pour the egg mixture into the sauce, whisking until smooth.

9. Add all but 1/2 cup of the 1 pound of grated cheddar cheese and stir until melted.

10. Add the seasonings, tasting and adding more if needed: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper.

11. Pour in the cooked, drained macaroni and stir to combine.

12. Transfer to baking dish, top with the remaining cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden on top.

*You can always add little extras to the dish if interested: crumbled bacon, caramelized onions, chopped mushrooms, diced tomatoes, etc. Whatever your heart desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment