Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gone Fishin' - - Ice Fishing!

Today I went ice fishing for the first time ever. I've been wanting to try it for a while now and I finally got to. It was pretty fun too, especially since we were actually catching fish! We went to a state park up in Longmont, CO that has multiple little lakes...we only tried fishing on two of the lakes. The ice was still pretty thick, although we did see one area of the lake that had orange cones with warning tape strung between them because there was a large hole in the ice. We could only assume someone or something (maybe an animal) fell through. I took a picture, but it's not that interesting so I left it out. Ice fishing is a pretty simple activity, and it can get boring (in my opinion) if fish aren't biting. The hardest part, by far, is drilling the holes through the ice...especially if you only have a hand powered ice auger. The ice was about 6-8 inches thick, and being about the same height as the auger, I couldn't get much weight on the auger to break through the ice. BUT, I did do it, and I actually drilled 2.5 holes. I was pretty proud of myself. Between that and catching 4 fish, I'd say it was a pretty good day!







Mickey liked to play with the fish after we caught them, but don't worry, he never hurt them. All the fish survived and were thrown back to their home.


No comments:

Post a Comment