Saturday, January 16, 2010

At Last!

I finally got a job! I'm going to be a server at Chili's. I know it's nothing special, and I probably won't get many shifts per week; but at least it's something. Hopefully I'll be able to get a full-time job working for a bank, and between the two jobs I'll be able to make decent money. The coolest part about this though, is how I got the job at Chili's...

As you know, it's about impossible right now to get a job doing anything. The economy sucks, plain and simple. So after walking in to a bunch of restaurants and applying on the spot, I still hadn't had any luck in getting an interview, let alone a job. On I trudged, into Buffalo Wild Wings. I figured I could make good money there considering it's the only one in the area, and people just love eating wings and drinking beer while watching sports. (My thoughts were later confirmed by the manager - servers make about $700 a week!) Anyway, I began filling out an application, and while doing so, was told that the manager would be out to talk to me in a minute. He finally made an appearance and after some small talk and looking over my resume he told me he didn't have any positions open, go figure.
However, while he was looking at my 'honors and activities' section of my resume, he said, "You're smart too! I don't even know you and I'm proud of you." I thanked him and we continued to chat, and finally he said something to the effect of: Well I don't have any positions open, but I wish I did. I just gave a job to one of our bartender's sons and he doesn't even really need a job. You know what, hang out here and let me go make a couple of calls. I know the manager at Chili's and maybe he can help you out.

At this point, I decided to not mention that I had just been to the Chili's he was talking about the day before and they told me they were only hiring cooks. I just let him go make the call. When he came back, he told me that he had talked to the manager at Chili's and told me the jist of their conversation, "I told him you're very well educated, pretty, and you just seem like a good girl. He told me to send you over there, he'll talk with you and then take it from there. When you get there, just tell him I sent you." He also gave me some tips about the Chili's manager's personality and what to do to impress him. I thanked him and headed over to Chili's.

Once there, I had to go through all the formalities: fill out an application and complete a standard test. If I passed, they would call me in for an interview. Later that same day, they called me to set up my interview. Yesterday I went in and interviewed, and about an hour after returning home, I got the call with a job offer. (They really don't need me, they were basically doing this because the BWW's manager called and spoke with them. Maybe someone will leave soon and I'll get more shifts than they currently think I will.)

Regardless of the number of shifts I get each week, I have a job. And I owe a
huge thanks to the manager at Buffalo Wild Wings. I've always known that having connections is the way to land a job, especially now, but being new to the area I didn't have many connections. Thank God this man who didn't even know me was kind enough to take an interest in me and my situation. If not for him, I'm sure I'd still be searching. I need to make sure to send him a thank you this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment