Thursday, April 22, 2010

In Honor of Earth Day

I went to the Whole Foods-sponsored showing of the documentary, Food, inc.
It may very well have inspired me to rekindle my vegetarian ways, for multiple reasons. At the very least I will only be buying organic or free-range chicken and beef. If you haven't seen this movie, I highly suggest it. It will open your eyes in huge ways to the astounding practices of the American food industry. If you haven't seen it, take a look at this trailer and decide for yourself if it's worth watching.




Now, before you go thinking I was completely swayed by this movie and I'm going to become an organic-food junkie based off the facts presented in this movie alone, let me tell you that is not the case. I actually went into this movie pretty well educated in organic food production practices as I did a huge research project last year comparing organic food production vs. conventional food production. And I'll be honest with you, in terms of health, organic food isn't that much better for you; but in terms of sustainability and helping our planet, organic food production is the only way. And if animal cruelty is anything you're concerned about, organic food production is the only way in that regard too. Only today did I truly come to understand the immensely cruel practices in conventional beef, pork, and chicken production (for the employees as well as the animals). It is unbelievable and sincerely heart breaking. I could go on and on about this movie and the many important topics that are discussed throughout - food safety, obesity and health, sustainability, the control and manipulation certain companies impose on the entire food industry, policy, the global food crisis, etc. - but I won't. Today I just want to promote green living. So, even if you don't want to completely change the way you eat, you can help make the world a better place.

Try one, two, or all of the ideas below:
- Ride your bike, walk, or carpool when able
- Recycle (reduce and reuse also!)
- Plant a small garden
- Buy locally grown and produced goods (farmers markets are amazing!)
- Buy foods in season
- Minimize paper waste and any other unnecessary waste
- Use reusable shopping bags
- Use energy efficient appliances and light bulbs
- Use solar energy (if possible)
- And my favorite, save water...shower with a friend :o)

There are hundreds and thousands more ways to be green and save our planet.
So what are you doing to make the world a more beautiful and sustainable place?

No comments:

Post a Comment