Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ingredient of the Week

Ingredient of the week for August 5th: peaches!

Peaches are one of my favorite items from the plethora of summer produce. I enjoy them almost every week, but usually I just eat them as a snack in their raw and natural form. This week though, I enjoyed peaches in a few ways other than simply plain. Here are my recipes/ideas for the week:


Fruit Salsa (great for topping fish, chicken, or even eaten with pita or tortilla chips)
2 fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
2/3 c diced red pepper
2 tbsp each, fresh cilantro & white wine vinegar
1 tbsp each, sugar and olive oil
1/3 c minced red onion
1 avocado, diced (add just before serving)
½ tsp each, salt and fresh ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in small bowl and chill 1-2 hours.

{served over grilled salmon}
(I got this recipe from my mom; not sure of the original source.)

Peach Smoothie
1½ c frozen fruit (any combination you like - below is what I chose)
Peaches
Pineapples
Mango
Papaya
Strawberries
Low fat vanilla yogurt, about 1/3c
Orange juice, enough so that about 1/4 - 1/3 of fruit in blender is covered

Blend all together and enjoy!

Fresh (As Is)
As a snack - whole or sliced
As a topping on oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, ice cream, etc.


 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment