Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

Let's keep the good times rolling.

The very next weekend, the one after the Broncos game, I had a couple friends in town for the weekend. It's quite interesting how the four of us are connected. Get a load of this... Jen (the one in white) and I know each other from church; we go way back to childhood, although we never really became friends until we were a little older and went to school together. Kinsey (the one in blue & purple) knows Jen and I from our school years; like middle-school through graduation. Then Jen and Kinsey went on to college at U of I, and became friends and roommates with Jane (the one in light blue). I met Jane, completely independently mind you, working at a summer mission program called Appalachia Service Project. I believe we met the summer before the three became roommates, and ironically, it was Jen who had told Jane about ASP and encouraged her to apply. Jen knew about ASP because we had volunteered for the program in high school through our church youth group. So there you have it, the it's-a-small-world version of how we all met and became friends.

Fast forward to now... Jen and I live in the same city again, Denver, Kinsey lives only a few hours away, and Jane happened to be in town for a job interview. So we decided to make a weekend of her visit and go skiing. It was fun to have a weekend with the girls and catch up on what's going on in everyone's lives. Not to mention it was just a relaxing weekend.

Instead of getting up at the crack of dawn to beat local traffic to the ski resorts, we took our sweet time. Starting with breakfast and coffee at Panera around 8:30, we got on the road to the mountain around 9:30am. Then we still had to get rentals for 2 of them and go to the grocery store for some food for lunch. This is the much more economical way to eat at a ski resort.

I'd estimate we got to the mountain, had our gear on, and were finally in line for the lift around noon. Then we took a whopping 3 runs before we went in for water and lunch. Plus some were having a hard time adjusting to the altitude, and once again, the point of the weekend was to be together not see how many runs we could get in. We only took a few more runs before we decided to call it a day. It was windy, cold, and snowing pretty hard (as it had been all day), and we were a little concerned about the drive back.

Speaking of the drive back, it sucked. Scuze my language. I believe it took a total of 3 hours to make the typically 1.5hr drive. I don't think it was sheer volume causing the slow down because it really didn't seem to be that busy, so I'm blaming the snow, which is probably a pretty good guess if I do say so myself. Good think we were in good company. The conversation and thought-provoking discussion helped to pass the time, and we were in Denver before I knew it.

Since the drive delayed our arrival back to town, we ended up calling it a night and cozied up on the couch for more "girl-talk." I do have to say, I really miss spending quality time with my girlfriends, so that is a goal of mine for this new year. More on that in a future post though...

The next day was just as fun, although entirely different. We woke up without any plan except to get breakfast. We went to a local diner called Dozens, and it was delicious! They seem to focus on local and wholesome food, as much as possible. Mmm, mmm. Afterward we went to Cherry Creek shopping center and wandered the streets and cute shops. I found one shop that I adore! It filled me with tons of inspiration for cute DIY and art projects. I can't wait to start one! Although, I should probably finish the few that I have started around my apartment first.

We all went our separate ways around 2:00, and I headed home to clean up, go through mail, and get ready for the week. Wah, way; I won't bore you with details. Check out the very few pictures we took from the weekend!

{having lunch at Arapahoe Basin}
{the next morning before heading to breakfast}
{having fun with the phone booth outside this adorable English pub}

Thanks for a great weekend girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment