Saturday, June 18, 2011

I Might Be Crazy

Just this past Wednesday I decided I'm going to do a triathalon. Yep, you heard me right - a triathalon. At elevation, nonetheless. Now, I realize I do live in Denver which is already 1 mile above sea level, but this event is at ~8,000ft. That is an additional 3,000ft!! (approximately) -insert laugh here-

Two of my friends are already signed up, and one of them just invited me last weekend. My initial immediate response was, "Thanks, but no." I thought there is absolutely no way I am or could be in good enough condition to do a triathalon. Because you see, the triathalon is July 24 - just 5 short weeks away. It is the Steamboat Lake Sprint Triathalon in Steamboat Springs, CO. If interested, you can find out more about it here http://www.withoutlimits.co/steamboat-lake-sprint-triathlon

As I started to think more about it though, I realized this was something I could probably do. And it's something I've always wanted to do, so I decided to look into it more. I found out the swim portion only takes place with 40-50 people per wave, a number they say maintains a fun and beginner-friendly environment (we'll see about that). The biking leg they describe as flat and fast, and the run is only a 5k. On a flat surface I can bike for quite a while, and I can almost run a 5k now without any training. Plus I figure I can always walk during the running leg if I really have to. After all, for me it's just about finishing. So I decided I'd go for it. I haven't signed up yet, but I plan to do that today to make it official. The way I see it, after signing up and paying there is no backing out. That may also be why I've put it off for the past 4 days...

In those 4 days though, I've biked, swam, and ran just to see where my baseline is for training the next few weeks. On my bike ride, I didn't know my mileage until I drove my path after the ride. I just biked until it got dark. Turns out I went 8.5 miles, and that included many fairly lengthy yet gradual hills, which are supposedly absent in the bike course. If that's really the case, 12 miles should be no problem to complete. The only nerve wracking part will be ensuring I finish before they close the bike course, which I don't really see being a problem. I would like to find a road bike to borrow or rent for the event though; my mountain bike might significantly slow me down. Then today I went for a 3 mile run and I only walked a small portion, so I feel pretty confident in that area too. The swimming on the other hand might be a problem. I definitely need to focus my training in that area, along with practicing transitions, or moving from one activity to the next. Because doing one activity per day may not be a challenge, but doing all three back to back is a whole other story. If you have any training tips or general tips for the day of the event, I would love to hear them!!

So, on July 24th I'll be doing my first triathalon, and subsequently I'll be checking one item off my bucket list. It's just a bonus I get to do it in such a beautiful setting!

Stay tuned for other bucket list items to be checked off this summer. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment