Monday, September 6, 2010

Fly Me Away

Ever since missing the Colorado Springs' Balloon Classic last Labor Day (2009), I have been looking forward to it for this year. Living in Denver, rather than the Springs, made it a little bit less desirable though, simply due to the fact that I had to be up at 4:45 am. That's right, I woke up at 4:45 am on my day off from work to drive down to Colorado Springs and watch some hot air balloons fly around. Maybe that sounds plain nuts to you, but hot air balloons are so pretty, and really, I think there was a sentimental piece too. The Balloon Classic was the first thing I did as a resident of Colorado two years ago. I arrived in town on a Friday night, and first thing Saturday morning I attended an awesome festival with hot air balloons. Nothing like that happens in Springfield, IL. So I wanted to relive it.

We were on the road by 5:30 and arrived in the Springs around 6:30. We includes only my boyfriend, Donnie, and myself (isn't he amazing for coming with me!? yes, is the answer). After finding a place to park, we wandered over to the park where the festival takes place and watched some crews inflate their balloons. There were many less balloons this year; I'm thinking that might have had something to do with the fact that it was the last morning of the event and some crews had already left to head back home. Either way, the balloons that were there were very pretty. It's so neat to watch them inflate the balloons and then raise them to vertical. I feel like I'm watching the erection or a monument or a barn raising or something. The announcer makes it a big deal and has the crowd clap and cheer. Pretty neat stuff. Anyway, about 45 minutes after we arrived they made an announcement that the pilots wouldn't fly because it was too windy, but they would leave the balloons inflated and we could ask questions and get an up-close view of the balloons. With than in mind, we wondered around a bit, got some breakfast, snapped some photos and then left. Take a look!



{The sun was rising behind the balloons and made them appear to glow!}







{The inside of a balloon}





No comments:

Post a Comment