Thursday, February 12, 2009

Daily Happenings and Thoughts

One of the strangest things happened to me this evening as I was leaving the hospital. I had just finished working out and was slowly making my way to my car towards the very back of the parking lot. Then, just as I sat down a guy about my age walked up to my window and motioned for me to roll down the window. I was a little taken aback by this as I had no idea who this person was, and it was dark and mostly deserted out. Nevertheless, I rolled my window down slightly so he could ask me whatever was on his mind. And this is what he said (or the gist of it): Hey, um I just got out of the ER. I was in there because of one of my testicles, and I just moved to Colorado a few days ago. The bus doesn't come for like another hour and I don't know how to get home. Do you think you could give me a ride? I need to go to 2340 (or something) Pike's Peak Ave. I don't even know where that is from here. I could give you money or whatever, but do you think you could help me out?

After staring at him dumbfounded for just a second, trying to digest the fact that a complete stranger had just told me he was in the ER because of one of his testicles and then hoped to get a ride from me, I responded: Umm, I can't. I'm really sorry, but I just....

Then he interrupted me to say: Yeah I understand that's ok. Could you at least tell me where a transfer station is?

Now, maybe I should know this, but I don't even know what a transfer station is. I know what a bus station is, and I even know where one is in Colorado Springs, but a transfer station? Is that something different? If you know the answer to this and could help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Anyway, a second or two later he wandered off to the next lone lady in her car. If he were really smart, he'd probably start looking for guys in their cars if he hopes to get a ride home. I hope he got there somehow. And I hope the ER fixed him up.


Now for my random thoughts for the day:

1. I really dislike having to pay to do my laundry for two reasons: A) it's expensive, and B) I never seem to have quarters handy when I want to do my laundry. And there is no convenient place to get a roll of quarters anywhere near my apartment. Ugg, the last thing I want to deal with at the end of a long day is figuring out where I can get quarters just so I can do the unpleasant task of washing my dirty clothes.

2. I've decided I don't like working in a hospital, and here's why: A) There is a lot of unnecessary double charting. Even though the entire hospital system has converted to computer charting, the doctors don't like to use the computer charting so we have to chart in the hard charts as well as the computer charts. It's extremely unnecessary and a waste of everyone's time, except the doctors. This also means that most of my day is spent hunting down charts, writing in charts, or sitting at a computer, and not so much with the patients. I like more personal interaction than what is typical in the hospital setting. B) The doctor's notes in those charts I spend most of my day with are impossible to read. So the only reason we still have the hard charts are because that is what the doctors prefer, but we can't read their writing most of the time anyway. It works well. C) There are a lot of really depressing cases of people that are young and really sick because they've treated their body so poorly most of their life. I get upset reading histories on patients, and most of the time there is nothing we (in nutrition services) can do to help. Nutrition is mostly a preventative measure and these people need medical attention. Other times, there are really old patients in the hospital who are sort of sick, but who would also be able to be discharged if they just ate enough to have the strength to leave. However, often at this stage they just want to give up. They flat out say they want to die and they just quit eating. There is nothing we can do to force them to eat, and it's hard to sit back and just watch them wither away. A lot of times the family of the patient isn't ready for their loved one to die either, so dealing with them is even harder. It's just sad all around. D) A lot of the patients are super nice and sweet and so appreciative of all we are doing to help them get better, and I get really attached. I have a huge soft spot for elderly people. Then, seemingly out of the blue, they'll get really sick and begin suffering, or they'll die. Again, this is just something that I don't handle well. It's sad, and I leave at the end of the day feeling depressed and torn down. In general, the hospital is not an atmosphere I enjoy. End of story.

Sorry if that last chunk of random thoughts came across bitter. I'm tired and burnt out from the hospital scene already. Spring break can't come quick enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment